The Waverley Pastoral Charge of the United Church of Canada is comprised of two churches. Wellington United Church (which holds a smaller congregation of approximately 70 members and adherents) located at 76 Church Street Wellington, NS and St. John’s United Church (which is home to approximately 400 members and adherents) located at 3360 Highway #2 Fall River, NS.
You will find these two suburban church families in the historic north of the Halifax Regional Municipality. In the 1970s this was still Halifax County. The new Metro Halifax was a future dream (some would say nightmare) and the small country churches of the Waverley Pastoral Charge started to grow.
Wellington United was constructed back in the 1950s. In May 1953 the congregation voted in favour of accepting an offer by Mrs. M. Ackerman for a piece of property on which to build a church. On October 14, 1953 Halifax Presbytery held a service of recognition officially welcoming Wellington as belonging to the United Church of Canada. On April 24, 1955 the congregation authorized the construction of the building which had been designed by R.K. Steeves. The building was completed and a dedication service was held of October 30, 1955. And to this date the church is still serving those in its community.
St. John’s United was constructed due to overcrowding of St. John’s, Waverley, and St. John’s, Windsor Junction. Over the years numerous committees discussed the options available. After two solid years of study, the Pastoral Charge Long Range Planning Committee recommended in 1988 that extensive renovations be made to both facilities. It was soon obvious that simply renovating the two churches was not financially feasible. As a result, the two congregations merged and temporarily resided at the St. John’s Waverley location and in December 1990 Halifax Presbytery formally approved the amalgamation of St. John’s Waverley and St. John’s Windsor Junction. The new congregation was to retain the name St. John’s United. In June 1990 the Building Committee received permission to purchase property in Fall River for the construction of a new building. The official sod-turning ceremony took place in June of 1993 and the first worship services were held on December 24, 1994 in the new sanctuary.